Luke Waltons Forehead presented by the Sports Dude.

Monday, April 17, 2006 at 1:14 PM

It is Monday & I am back...

Yes, the sports dude is still alive and no I did not go into hiding because of my off the wall Lions prediction. Look, I even put the disclaimer in there that it was all on paper didn’t I? Besides, we all know how the Lions have no luck and I am sure something somewhere along the way will end up getting screwed up. That being said I apologize for the absence, I had some things going on in life that took my focus away from this place, but they say absence makes the heart grow fonder so I am back and here is what I got.

Since I already mentioned the Lions I guess I will start there and say what I have heard out of the minicamp and read about everything to me looks like so far, so good. I still have a feeling that Charles Rogers will not be here too much longer and I also get the feeling that Joey will stay on the roster all the way to June. Look, the Lions may as well play hard ball for as long as possible to get the best possible pick for him, I mean why not? Worst case scenario is you cut him and get nothing in return (which is more than they have gotten to this point anyway) because a seventh round pick is going to about amount to nothing anyway. Eventually some team is bound to get nervous and give Detroit that 4, 5, or 6 round pick they are looking for. Oh, one last thing, I really love listening to Henderson and Marinelli talk about football, it makes me want to go and just bash my head into something.

The Tigers started off with a bang but are now playing the type of baseball that should be expected of them, at least in my opinion. Beat the teams they are supposed to beat and steal some from the teams that are still better than them, that is about it right? Look, my expectations for them have not changed, all I want is something above .500 by like 5 to 10 games at the end of the season and I will dance a happy dance! There is finally a farm system with prospects in waiting, there is youth from said farm system in the majors and there finally seems to be some progress there. If you erase the Randy “I have no clue what I am doing” Smith years the Tigers are finally on track, unfortunately you can’t just erase those years and we as fans had to watch Smith make mistake after senseless mistake. Not to jinx it here but is anyone else just waiting for Tigers luck to kick in and Shelton going down with a serious injury or something? Quick, everyone knock on wood now that you read that!

The Red Wings won the President Trophy; let’s just hope that gets them out of the second round! Look, I hate to say it, but that is an old team man and at some point and time a younger and faster team is going to get them, sad but true! I look for Edmonton to take them at least to six games, if not seven, and by the second round you are going to have some tired grandpa’s out there! Remember Calgary two years ago, the Wings just looked slow and old and tired as shit against them and I see little difference now. Look, I would love for there to be two parades downtown this summer, it would be the first time in sports history that such a thing took place, but I think the Pistons have the better chance of bringing home a title than the Wings, but as much as I HATE hockey I would love to be wrong.

Speaking of the Pistons they now have home court locked up for the entire playoffs and show no signs of slowing down. The starters are getting rest, the bench is getting extra time to shake off the rust for the playoff grind, and all we need to know now is who they are playing in round one. Look, I am sorry here folks, I still don’t see any team in the East beating the Pistons in a seven game series when the Pistons have home court, crap even without it! I also am not all that sure Miami will make it to the Conference Finals anymore, something tells me that the Nets-Heat match up that should take place in the second round might go to the Nets; I am not sleeping on those cats anymore! Even so it is all irrelevant because as I stated before the only thing that can stop the Pistons in the East is an injury (knock on wood) or themselves.

Lastly I would like to add my two cents on a couple things I missed in my time off, one being Ben and his tantrum… it was just a message to his team, let it go people! Second is Tiger Woods and his use of the word “spaz”… get over that too people! Damn, I am so tired of people needed to be so freaking “PC” nowadays, stop spazzing out over it!

That is all I got, enjoy your day and we will talk again soon – the sports dude.

Blogger Ian C. said...

The Wings winning the President's Trophy makes me a bit nervous, only in that it seems to be something of a curse. In the recent years they've won the Cup, if memory serves me correctly, they didn't have the best record. And that seemed to take some pressure off going into the playoffs.  

~

Post a Comment




referer referrer referers referrers http_referer
Web Counter
PlayStation 2 Games
Who links to me?


My blog is worth $7,903.56.
How much is your blog worth?