Luke Waltons Forehead presented by the Sports Dude.

Thursday, January 13, 2005 at 1:18 PM

Some odd ball Pistons thoughts.

I have had issues with my blog today, strange things popping up and effecting my links and my counter. I tried cleaning things up, hopefully all will stay normal and did some other stuff as well. I added a new link to my "friendly blogs" section, eliminated one that no longer existed and reworked the names of some. Nothing fancy, nothing amazing, just some house cleaning. Hopefully all the problems will go away and all will be well. Now, onto my odd ball Pistons thoughts for today.

I would first like to talk about where they stand and where they are going. They currently are in second place in the Central Division (20-14) with the fourth best record in the east behind Miami (27-10), Cleveland (21-12) and Washington (20-13), who actually has us by a marginal difference in percentage points. For the record, I don't think we can catch Miami. I know the difference is not that huge, but I think it may be too late to catch them. Shaq is on a mission this year to prove Kobe wrong and is healthier and meaner than seasons past. I think the Heat will finish with the best record in the East, followed by the Pistons at #2, but I don't look at that as a big deal, which I will get into later. The other two teams I mentioned, the Cavs and the Wizards, I don't give them credit. Basically, I think they are just off to a fast start and an injury here or a losing streak there will get to them. They are both young teams that I think are off to quick starts, but I don't think they have the longevity to maintain it all season. I expect them both to make the playoffs, but nothing more. As far as the rest of the East, the Pacers - with or without Artest - were never a concern to me and I expect them to get a low seed in the playoffs, face Miami in the second round and get knocked out. Done.

As far as Miami having a better record then us and getting the #1 seed, I really am not too concerned. The Pistons just need to focus on getting the Central Division title, which I think they will. Like I said, I don't see Cleveland being able to keep it up all season long. By being the #2 seed, the Pistons would at least have home court against everyone in the East playoffs except the Heat. My biggest thing with the Heat is we beat Shaq last year with better players, better coaching and a better "team", to use the word loosely there. This year he has Dwayne Wade, an amazing young player, and then is surrounded by a bunch of NBA cast offs. I still feel the only team in the East that can beat the Pistons is themselves, and as long as they stay focused and don't get too full of themselves, a six or seven game series against the Heat should go to them. They just need to win the central and get the #2 seed, minimum. Done.

I really think the Pistons are finally putting it together, "turning the corner" as people like to say. Really, they have not had their full roster together yet this season I don't think. Ben was in and out early, Larry was gone, the brawl aftermath, Delfino has been out, McDyess had to get use to coming off the bench - that is a laundry list of things for any team. Now throw all that into the fact that every team every night is coming at you with maximum effort wanting to knock that bulls eye of your back, damn that is a lot! I think the hangover is finally starting to lift for these guys and you can kind of see it starting again. I still think they will push for that 60 win mark, which would be quite an accomplishment, and I still think they are the team you have to go through in the East. Miami and Detroit, that is my Eastern Conference finals pick.

The West, briefly - what a mess. As far as the Suns and Sonics are concerned, I don't think they will keep it up all season. I still give my nod to the Spurs and the T-Wolves, maybe not in the Western Conference Finals but as the two teams that will give everyone the most fits. My West pick is still the Spurs.

Well, I will be back at some point to talk about Darko "The Human Victory Cigar" Milicic, but not yet - I got work to do! Later my back court mates - the sports dude.

Blogger Dan Joseph said...

I had a thought about the Pistons. Like you, I think they're coming together, but I also think they need another guard coming off the bench.

How about Lindsey Hunter and Horace Jenkins for Carlos Arroyo? Arroyo wants more playing time, he could get that here in Detroit. He's a good shooter (36% from the three point line) and puts up 8 pts per game, 5 assists. I think he could be an asset to this time, and be able to contribute 20-25 minutes each night off the bench.  

~

Blogger the sports dude said...

Although another guard may be nice, I just don't see it right now being totally necessary. Especially moving Lindsey Hunter, I really would put him on an untouchable level as ridiculous as that sounds! Even though he is older, he just brings too much to the table as far as his pressure defense, something that I can not see us surviving without. I really think the guard situation will get a lot better when Delfino comes back and gets healthy and gains minutes. But I can not see it and I can not stomach the thought of the team moving Hunter, I think Dumars knows this. I think Lindsey will finish his career with the Pistons, and I definitely think that Arroyo for Hunter would be a down grade, especially with the way Hunter has been playing as of late. Plus, Lindsey not only brings the defense, he brings the calming veteran leadership off the bench and in the locker room. Can't do it, can't move him - as crazy as it sounds for a 34 year old ( I think ) guard, just can not see it being a good move.  

~

Blogger Dan Joseph said...

I heard a report yesterday the Pistons are talking to Utah about Arroyo. Are they reading this blog or something? I think you might be right, maybe they won't trade Hunter, but I wonder who else Utah would take. Arroyo is a 3rd or 4th guard there right now. Maybe just Jenkins and a draft pick?  

~

Blogger the sports dude said...

I guess Arroyo would be fine, but just not at the expense of Hunter. Unless you are getting a stud like a Baron Davis, but then I still would be hard pressed to move Hunter. I know, call me crazy but I am a Hunter slappy - and I still feel we don't win it last year without him! Arroyo would be alright, but move guys like Jenkins, Ham, Goldwire, Dupree before Hunter. I have no problem with the draft pick either being thrown in there, that would be fine, we don't really need it right now anyway. And don't we still have the rights to that Ricky Spaulding dude we drafted this year? Anyone but Hunter, that is all I am asking.
T.S.D.  

~

Blogger Dan Joseph said...

I forgot about Spaulding. The best player in the summer league, and he's in Europe now. Funny how it works, but he's smart. Go there, get playing time, then come back and play for the Pistons later.

Yeah, Hunter was an intricle part of the team, as was James. They really could use James back. I think you might be right. Keep Hunter, add another guard in the mix. Try and re-create that James/Hunter pitbull combo.  

~

Post a Comment




referer referrer referers referrers http_referer
Web Counter
PlayStation 2 Games
Who links to me?


My blog is worth $7,903.56.
How much is your blog worth?