Luke Waltons Forehead presented by the Sports Dude.

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 9:31 AM

Pistons await next opponent.

For what it is worth, I really hope it is not the Pacers. There is no fear in me as far as them losing to the Pacers are concerned, it is just all the other crap that comes with it. We all know that every sports writer with a pen or tape recorder will have only one word on their mind - "BRAWL". That is what scares me more than anything, reliving the ghost of November 19 past and having it be a major distraction for this team.

The other thing that bothers me is the fact I could see the Pacers taking a cheap shot and injuring a key Piston player - basically that would be any starter, so take your pick. If it all works out the way it should, there is no way the Pacers should beat the Pistons. The only way for the Pacers to win this series is if all the weight, all the pressure gets to the Pistons and they beat themselves. But if it plays out correctly and the Pistons take control of the series, I could see one of the Pacers taking a cheap shot at a Pistons player to take them out for the remainder of the playoffs. Surprisingly to me Jermaine O'Neal has been the only stand up guy in the post brawl days, but I could see Stephen Jackson or Reggie Miller trying to hurt a Piston and, in turn, ruining any chance that they have of defeating Miami. Call me paranoid if you will, but it is a major concern of mine. The Pacers feel that Detroit ruined their season before it even started (even though it is more Indiana's fault than Detroit's), so I could easily see one of the Pacer players employing some "goon" tactic and taking a Detroit starter out, you know, to ruin our season before it ends! It might be a stretch, but any team with Reggie Miller on it I could easily see it happening.

The Pistons should easily handle the Pacers in six games, make no mistake. Tayshaun will own Stephen Jackson, Rasheed and Jermaine O'Neal is a great match up, Dale Davis will be embarrassed by Big Ben, Rip can easily handle Reggie and Jamaal Tinsley is all but Chauncey Billups bitch. That being said, you know it will be a physical series, you know the pressure will be high and the Pacers want revenge, I just think it will be a tough fight for the Pistons. Physically, mentally and emotionally it may take too much out of them to compete with Miami and that is what scares me as well. I would much rather see Boston, who probably would give the Pistons some competition, but I think the Pistons would come out of that series with a lot more left in the tank for Miami than they would against the Pacers. It all could be answered tonight, but for the first time in a long time I am rooting for the Celtics, believe you me.

Well, that is all I got for now. I would like to close by saying that Allen Iverson is truly one of the most exciting basketball players I have ever seen. Say what you want about his antics, his tattoos and his "PRACTICE?!?!" rant from a few seasons ago, but the dude has got some heart. It was fun to watch, but I am glad he is gone. Thanks A.I. for a great series, you are a true competitor. Now, hopefully, it will be on to the Celtics! So all you people out there that call yourselves true Pistons fan, you better be rooting for Boston tonight! We may beat the Pacers in a series, but it may take too much out of us to compete against Miami in the Conference Finals. Later - the sports dude.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that any kind of rivalry is good for the game, but not this kind of rivalry...especially with the way that ESPN will twist every little thing that goes on. I hope to see the Celtics.  

~

Anonymous Anonymous said...

From a media standpoint, I hope to see the Celts too. But from a I-Want-My-Damn-Team-to-Win standpoint, I'd much rather see the Pacers.

Barring injury and all that, there's no way they could beat the Pistons 4 games out of 7.  

~

Post a Comment




referer referrer referers referrers http_referer
Web Counter
PlayStation 2 Games
Who links to me?


My blog is worth $7,903.56.
How much is your blog worth?